The conversion of one of the City of London’s most extraordinary landmarks into a hotel has been given planning consent. The former headquarters of the Port of London Authority, the building, now known as Ten Trinity, was the city’s last Edwardian landmark.
The plans were submitted by Thomas Enterprises, the US developer, and Woods Bagot, the architects. The ambitious £150m, 450,000 square metre scheme envisages a grand, 121-bedroom hotel and spa complex with an additional 30 apartments.
The monumental building itself, by architect Sir Edwin Cooper, was commissioned through an architectural competition in 1911 but the first world war interrupted construction and it was only opened by Lloyd George in 1922.
It rears up in the triumphant gesture of a city at the heart of an unprecedented empire, at the centre of which were the docks it controlled. Despite serious damage during the second world war, the building hosted the inaugural reception of the General Assembly of the United Nations in its boardroom in 1946.