The English Cities Fund’s plans for a £180m mixed-use redevelopment at Rathbone Market in Canning Town are ‘inconsistent’ with Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s affordable housing policy for the capital.

The Mayor has advised Newham Council, on behalf of the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation, which is considering the planning application for the site, that the plans – part of the wider Canning Town regeneration – do not fit in with the London Plan because they do not contain enough affordable housing.

The plans, put together by the joint venture partners in the fund, Muse Developments, English Partnerships and Legal & General, aim to regenerate the Rathbone Market site on Barking Road in the borough of Newham.

The report said the problems could be addressed but the plans at the moment do not meet the target of 35% affordable housing – 17.5% social rented and 17.5% intermediate provision – outlined in the London Plan.

The 680,000 sq ft development, which includes a 21-storey building and 652 homes, only has around 7.5% and 17.8% social rented and intermediate provision housing, a total of 25.3% of affordable housing.

The Mayor also said the proposals needed more information regarding transport and climate change.