A townhouse once owned by the Dukes of Portland, on Soho Square in London’s West End, has been bought for conversion into five new homes, worth £50m.
The purchase cost was £8m. The 8,300 sqft townhouse at 10 Soho Square (pictured) was originally built in circa 1676 as two separate houses and was united into one grand townhouse in 1696 by Craven Howard, a wealthy local merchant.
By 1711 the house was owned by the 2nd Earl of Portland.
Oakmayne provided the following details about the block: “10 Soho Square was leased by the Dukes of Portland to many notable residents including the 3rd Earl of Berkeley, Lady Buckley, Lady Montague, James Adair MP and the Arrowsmith family, the famous map-makers.
“After 1945 the house was converted into offices. During the 1970s the basement of the building housed dolphin tanks which were used as sleeping tanks for two dolphins called “Bonnie and Clyde” who were the stars of the London Dolphinarium nightclub which was located at nearby 65 Oxford Street.”